eutc Student Imagery
and Content Agreement
May 2018 Update: We have made amendments to the agreement to address the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679.
Duration of Agreement
This consent agreement will remain valid for the duration of your/your child’s time at Elstree University Technical College and the following three years after your/your child’s departure. After this time, we will destroy any materials we have pertaining to this agreement.
Benefits to Students
- Allows the documentation and evidencing of coursework - mandatory for certain subjects
- Showcases student artwork and imagery when actioning marketing campaigns for shows and events
- Allows the college to celebrate student achievements and progress using event photography
- Supports industry study by providing professional guests and lecturers to FaceTime or Skype our students on-site
Occasionally we take photographs and video of the students at our school. These images are used in the following contexts:
- On the school database for staff recognition purposes
- Recorded shows and performances for exam moderation and evidence
- Recorded shows and performances for online distribution on Vimeo and YouTube
- Marketing of shows and events (including programme design)
- Printed school prospectus
- Online school prospectus
- In printed publications such as newsletters and leaflets
- In school displays
- On our school website
- In external marketing banners and posters through distributers such as JC Decaux and Exterion
- Video or webcam recordings for social media
- School to school conferences and school to industry links
- Social media focused paid-for advertising on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Social media promotion on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
We also send images to the news media, or our school may be visited by the media who will take their own photographs or film footage, especially if we have a high-profile visit. The news media may use the images in printed publications, including local and national newspapers, hardcopies and online, on television reports and programmes. They then store them in their archive. They may also syndicate the photos to other media for possible use, either in printed publications, on websites or both. When we submit photographs and information to the media, we have no control of when, where, if or how they may be used.
We use a large amount of student artwork in promotional contexts such as school marketing in paid-for social media posts, open-to-public college shows and external posters and banners. By agreeing to our ‘content-usage’ agreement below, you relinquish ownership of any artwork you create whilst you are a student at Elstree University Technical College to the school. This includes coursework, photographic materials, videos, print work and any content produced whilst working on a project for ‘Elstree University Technical College Productions / EUTC Productions’. We may, from time-to-time, use student work in marketing efforts and promotional advertising.
Any content owned by Elstree University Technical College will automatically have the Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). This means that anyone is free to: share, copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format under the following terms: Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. Non-Commercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes. No Derivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material. No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits. For further information please visit: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
To comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679, we need to secure your permission before we can photograph or make any recordings of you/your child or use any of your students work for marketing materials.
Condition of Use
- This agreement will remain valid until three years after the student-signee has left the school. We may use the image of your child for marketing purposes after the student has left the college. Please write to the school if you wish to withdraw consent at any time. We cannot retract marketing materials or campaigns which have already been published. After three years have passed following the student’s departure, we will destroy all images of and work belonging to the student (unless an alternative agreement has been negotiated and agreed).
- The images we take will be of activities that show the school and students in a positive light.
- Embarrassing or distressing images will not be used. The images will not be associated with negative or sensitive issues.
- We may use group or class photographs or footage with very general labels e.g. ‘Science lesson’.
- We will only use images of students who are suitably dressed.
- We will make every effort to ensure that we do not allow images to be taken of any students for whom we do not have permission or who are ‘at risk’ or disallowed from having their photographs taken for legal or social reasons
- We will take all reasonable measure to ensure the images are used solely for the purposes for which they are intended. However, we cannot guarantee this and take no responsibility for the way images are used by other websites or publishers or for any consequences arising from publication.
Please note that websites can be viewed throughout the world and not just in the United Kingdom where UK law applies. In giving your consent you understand that images may be used in printed and electronic form.
You retain the right to access (article 15 – GDPR): “Individuals have the right to access their personal data (photos) on request, and receive confirmation regarding how these are being used”. Please submit a Data Subject Access Form (available from the school office) in order to attain any information, imagery or work we have which belongs to you. We will comply within 30 days of receiving the request.
You retain the right to erasure (article 17 – GDPR): “Individuals have the right to access their personal data (photos) on request, and receive confirmation regarding how these are being used”. If you wish to have your data destroyed, please contact the school office. We will comply within 30 days.