Your child could get a free school meal if you receive any of the following:
• Income Support
• Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (as long as you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and you don’t get more than £16,190 a year)
• Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
• Universal Credit
If you think you may be entitled to Free School Meals, please apply to your local borough council not direct to the school. The Hertfordshire web address is: https://beta.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/at-school/free-school-meals/free-school-meals.aspx
Apply today if you receive any of these benefits. It takes 5 mins and in most cases they can tell you straightaway if your child can get free meals at school.
You can also apply for help with school travel:
• Bus travel – a SaverCard lets a young person (11-18 years old) travel by bus for half price. You might be able to get one for free.
• Train travel – a TrainCard lets students in sixth form or college (16-18 years old) get 1/3 off their train tickets. You might be able to get one for free.
• Bike lessons – you may be able to get half price bike lessons.
We operate a cashless system here, free school meals are automatically added each day to your child’s account. Extra money may be added online by parents for additional purchases. When your child starts with us in September they will be given a ParentPay login along with a password unique to that account. ParentPay may be used to pay for other purchases from the college shop or for college trips. Lost cards are charged at £5 each for a replacement from our IT department.
If you are currently entitled to free school meals or have ever been in the last six years you are entitled to pupil premium funding that gives additional support to your child's learning as well as provides a free school meal. Please make us aware as a college of any support you have received around free school meals enabling us to help you as much as possible.